Sunday, March 4, 2012

The thing I hate the most about Japan... The one Yen coins...

Squeeze a bunch of one yen coins and you still end up with nada
There are quite a few things I dislike about Japan and even a few things that I would say I hate about living here. But the thing I hate the most, without any competition, about Japan is the one yen coins... The fact using the Japanese yen means a lot more zeroes than shopping in the Euro countries or the US dollar is ok, it's a bit inconvenient, particularly in business when the figures can get quite high and it gets confusing to try and keep in mind the word for "hundreds of millions", "trillions" and what not, but it's ok. Not everywhere can be the same.

But I hate the one yen coin with a vengeance... One yen is basically worthless. If you collect 120 pieces of them you can theoretically buy a coke in a vending machine, assuming you first change them into actual usable money such as ten yen coins (but the bank would laugh at you and probably charge you a counting and administrative fee at a cost of 1.5 yen per yen). But one yen in itself is worth about $0.01 USD... I would be perfectly fine with all prices rounded to the nearest five, I would even be fine with it being rounded up, as long as we could get rid of those useless one yen coins.

One yen coins are never usable in vending machines and for me, having these coin is for one purpose and one purpose only; to keep me from getting more one yen coins in change... That's the only tangible value that a one yen coin holds for me. If I go shopping something and it ends up to, say, 1,853 JPY, If I have three yen coins in spare change I can save myself from getting any one yen coins in change. I can go through significant time scavenging my wallet for any lost coins and get seriously annoyed when I have to take them in change. Sometimes they have those collection boxes for Tohoku, UNICEF or some other charity, but giving 4 yen in coins feels beyond cheap.

I've always wondered what the manufacturing cost (including labour and raw materialof making one one yen coin is, but I have the feeling that it's around ... ... ... one yen or so... If there's any petition to get rid of those annoying little coins, let me know and I'll gladly sign up for it!     

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate the way they stick to my bare feet.

Chris said...

I bent one in half with pliers after digging behind my desk thinking it was a 500yen coin which still wasn't worth it but I was determined to complete my task and came away with an ichien...I was upset and torqued it. I keep it on my desk so that no other ichien's fuck with me....

aimlesswanderer said...

Australia got rid of 1 and 2c coins a while ago, and I think everyone is better off now!

Will said...

One yen coins sure would squash nicely on train tracks.

Mr. Salaryman said...

222 - At least you don't have to be rich to have them litter the floor ;)

Chris - Good man, that should teach those other one yenners to stay put! Behind your desk could always be your "rainy day" fund if you drop enough 500 coins

Aimless - Indeed, let's just hope someone here come to the same conclusion...

Will - As annoying as they are, they'd probably derail the train and kill hundreds...

Anonymous said...

Canada is proposing doing away with their 1¢ coins and even the States are considering the same idea. Ya gotta love inflation.

Anonymous said...

I just found your Blog. @_@ And I'm... posting kind of suddenly I guess? But yeah, I recently visited Japan and I know just how you feel. Except I hated the 1 yen coins because they felt so FAKE. Like, monopoly money or something. I was so surprised the first time I got a 1 yen coin. I thought they were giving me play money.


When I came back to the states, I had a good 20+ one yen coins... I've been handing them out to anyone that will take them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails