Friday, November 21, 2008

PGF Depression

I am suffering from this now. Some of you guys reading this might know exactly what I'm talking about. I think that to readers of this blog, it has been pretty clearly established that I enjoy playing computer games. I don't personally have any issues with this and feel that it is a perfectly acceptable way to pass the time and if the game is good, much more stimulating than watching tv and a movie.

After a considerable ordeal, I previously managed to get the Boy to purchase, among other games, the PS3 game "Dead Space" during a recent business trip to the USA . A game I have considerable entertainment out of. I would actually be daring to go out on a limb here and say that it delivered more gaming satisfaction than the obvious inspiration; Resident Evil 4. So for a couple of weeks, the game has kept me thoroughly entertained. However, just a few days ago, I started to realize the inevitable...
I was getting closer and closer to the end, and even though the entertainment value kept rising I couldn't enjoy it as much as I would've wanted since I knew it would come to an end really soon.

Yesterday it happened. I finished the game...The first feeling was that artificial feeling of achievement you get when you finish something that has no relevance to your actual life but still makes you feel like you achieved something significant. Then it hit me. The PGF Depression. Fellow gamers will know exactly what I'm talking about here, the Post Game Finish Depression, the emptiness and bleakness that follows the realization that: "I'm done with this, what do I do now?" when you've finished a really good game. Sure, Resistance 2 has been lying on the table waiting for my attention, but I doubt that it can fill the void in my life that Dead Space has left me with...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to see you're getting some pussy at least.

Anonymous said...

The only pussy a serious gamer gets is from his or her imaginary girlfriend.

Anonymous said...

Oh. Sorry. you meant the cat. Of course.

Anonymous said...

You need to try MMOs... :) The games that go on and on and on and on and on and on and... You get the picture :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, he has done that, actually, and should again. But then you get the CGF (Can't Finish Game) Depression, eventually followed by the MAWJFMF (Might As Well Just Farm Materials Forever) apathy, leading to the WTFAEP (WTF Another Expansion Pack???) catatonia.

Related Posts with Thumbnails