Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Adventures of a Foreign Salaryman in Tokyo in Southern France

Well, I’m back here again, in this God-Jesus awful country that no one likes and all reasonable people hate. Thankfully I’m just here for a couple of days and not more than a month like previously, but it’s all coming back to me now; the people, the language, everything about this country. You name it and I hate it. The scary thing about French people is that they almost look like normal people so you could mistake them to be normal healthy people until you need to talk to them. Now, I know that more aggressive French haters might find my statement offensive (I see myself as pretty mild and conservative) but I stand by that they actually can look pretty normal. Granted, the people here in South France are not as bad as the people in Paris, but the difference is marginal.

Now, since I’m European and has rudimentary understanding of most of the major languages here in Europe I can sometimes somehow understand what they want when they ask me questions or talk to me in their foul language. However, since I can’t speak French I always need to answer in English making the conversations pretty odd with both parties trying to pull the other one to speak the other language. But I don’t budge so they play a futile game.

Just one day of meetings with French “colleagues” (I tend to see them as enemies) to endure and then it’s back to the land of the rising sun!

1 comment:

Chefantwon's Rant said...

If you know a bit of spanish or german it can help in the land of the frogs as some words are spelled exactly the same, with the same meanings, just pronounced differently.

In any event, if have any problems you could always pass yourself off as an American.

Related Posts with Thumbnails